Thursday, January 14, 2010

Hubris?


The start of every New Year brings a sense of excitement - a time for change, perhaps a time to finish up old projects or to start something new. After a very busy fall semester, the holiday season, and an intense bout of work during the first two weeks of January, things were finally beginning to settle out. Lectures for next semester were falling in to place and all my ski clothes were assembled for the next morning.

After rising early and taking care of a few tasks around the house - the big OH NO hit. The 'Hub had headed off to work with the one and only key to the barn in his pocket - the barn was the repository for my SKIS! I had been so excited to have an opportunity for early morning skiing. Plans were in place to arrive early, be one of the first on the lift and down the hill. The sun was out, even if the morning was a bit chilly. I did not want my day of pleasure to go awry. What to do? What to do? What would MacGyver do? Time would not allow me to drive into work, get the key, return home and make it to the slopes in time for the first run of the day. I had to try to free the skis on my own.

We are fortunate to have an old, three story barn. It is my craft and garden center, a small tool workshop, and allows for general storage of the sports toys. I also knew that was a passageway from the bottom of the barn to the first floor. So off I went.



First, a double check. Yup, door was still locked, really locked, really, really locked.


Around to the backyard. Past the Christmas tree that finally got taken out - part of the organizational high that was motivating me to ski this morning - soon I was standing in front of the "gateway" to my goal.

Ah, but alas,




the seasonal frost heave was set in place and prevented the door from opening very wide. But I knew that the 'Hub had gotten into the "dungeon" just earlier this week. Exhale, MacGyver, exhale, exhale, -- and I was in.

Up to the front of the barn - over the construction debris (things that were here when we moved in [some good wood, sure it can used for something] but yet something to add to the list next year). Was my organizational bliss yesterday my own punishment?


Up through the floor


Oh so very close - soon the skis would be in my grasp! Only this door stood in my way. And,

This is as far as the door would open. Like a cat, I began moving things away from the door, reaching around and scattering what I could. Again I wondered, was I being punished for my organizational bliss just the night before?


But, wait maybe there was another way out? Under the stairs?


Only in my dreams could I fit through here.
Think!
Think!
Think like MacGyver!

It began to dawn on me that the door was being pinched in the corner and that the only way out was up and out through the highest (and hopefully the most flexible) part of the door.

I was not going to be stopped !!!!

To finish the story - I made it, freed the skis and made it in time for the first run of the day. I had a wonderful day of skiing, chuckling periodically about the morning's adventure. I had to wait until Dan returned home (remember he had the key) before I could confirm my thoughts, that a cabinet was blocking the door from opening. I measured the gap - 5 inches! Thank goodness for flexible old doors!



So, now I have a new set of activities set out for the New Year. Getting keys cut for the barn, cleaning up and moving the shelves away from the door, organizing the construction zone in the lower barn, and ...........




2 comments:

Johanna said...

You lock your barn? Wouldn't see that around here!

The Old Red House said...

Life in the city I guess....