Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Let the games begin




After years of rumination, we have finally begun work on a relatively simple (we hope) kitchen renovation. The goal is to take out the over cabinet cupboards shown here and to build up the lower cabinet so that it is even with the rest of the counter. New countertops, sink, dishwasher, and hood will complete the project.


Day one is complete. This is the previous view into the kitchen from the back family room. The next two pictures are the view at the end of day one (approximately three hours of work) and so far, I like it. I'll be able to stand in my kitchen and see the backyard. And Dan will no longer have to bend in funny angles to see the ball game or golf match while slicing and veggies for dinner.

Countertop measurements get made on Thursday and we will find out the likelihood of being able to add one more cabinet. Most people we talked to said - impossible -but one person said - no problem. Suspicious? Perhaps, but with the disclaimer of a 95-97% match, I felt it worthy of investigation.
The final picture is the current front runner in the countertop competition. I wanted to keep the countertops light and the color is a little creamier than what it appears in the photo.
Next step - wallpaper removal (yikes!). But at least there appears to be a single layer. What else is spring break for????




2 comments:

Johanna said...

Wow, what a transformation! The base cabinet gets replaced, though, right (isn't that where levelling the countertops comes in)? It's not going to be a walkthrough when it's finished?

It's so exciting when the renovation begins wish such a promising change! Will you be stripping the wallpaper or will your guy? I guess with all that snow you might as well be inside doing something useful.

Keep posting!

The Old Red House said...

You're right, it won't be a walk through when were done. The vertical "wall" that is left in is the chimney and thus can't be moved (on our budget). When you're looking at the backroom, the chimney currently gives me a weird split screen feeling that I am confident theh cabinet will reduce.

We're the strippers. Luckily Dan hates that wallpaper and will be doing the bulk of the work.