One can only hope that learning is a life long process. In fact, one of Clark University's (and other schools as well) mission statements is to build "a community of life long learners." Our first year dorm at Kalamazoo College was decorated with a plaque - "the end of learning is gracious living." I still don't understand this statement - do we only live graciously if we stop learning?
So what have I learned recently? This past week I learned that ruptured Achilles tendons are a somewhat common occurrence - approximately 18 out of 100,000 people have experienced this condition (at least in Finland where this study was conducted) and the frequency is increasing. The injury is more prevalent in males than females; the jury is still out on whether the lower rate in women is due to physiological/biomechanical differences between males and females, or a reflection that fewer women are involved in sports. The injury is more common in individuals in the third or fourth decade of life. Significant improvements have been made in the treatment of the injury - including earlier movement and weight bearing than in early treatments. And finally, early treatment is much more successful than delayed treatment in terms of full recovery.
Why do I know these things? Last Thursday (9 days) ago, I ruptured my Achilles tendon while playing volleyball (I'm thinking of changing my story this week, how does" leaping over tall buildings in a single stride" sound?). The injury is in my left ankle (the most common tendon injured, perhaps correlated with the right hand dominance among humans who therefore use their left leg to push off). I had surgery yesterday, in which my surgeon sewed the tendon back together (my surgeon could not remember the last time he performed this surgery on a female. Should I feel special?). No weight bearing on that leg for 2 weeks; I imagine my right leg will be quite toned by the end of that time. Following the first 2 weeks, range of motion and weight get added slowly. I anticipate being out of the brace in the middle of August (8 weeks total). Finally, back to full activity in 6 months. Before that time, don't be surprised if you see Dan or my mother trying to sell me on EBay.
To be truthful, I would have enjoyed learning about this injury by reading journal articles or through WebMD, even Wikipedia would have been fine. But then, isn't experience the best teacher?
And as I sign off - I wish you all good health.
No comments:
Post a Comment