Tuesday, June 10, 2008

What color to paint?





Recently, a good friend was trying to decide what color to paint her house and asked the question, what color was mine. The question stimulated me to explore the world of blogging and to share pictures and stories with friends and family. The residents of The Old Red House hope you enjoy.





The problem with living in a temperate climate is that dark colors are too hot in the summer but pay dividends in the winter. Here in New England, red stands out against our 60 inches of snow.








And, the color looks nice against the garden green in the summer. Given the house was built around 1825 the color also seems to fit the time period.













In the spring, during the paint job -- a few things changed but it gives you the idea. I'm looking to uncover my favorite pictures. Stay tuned.






1 comment:

Johanna said...

A brilliant color, kind of barn red! Someday maybe I'll paint my barn (ok, get my barn painted, I don't do those tall ladders very well!). Then I'll have a putty-gray house next to a lovely, fresh, red barn.

In the meantime I'll have to enjoy the color of your house!

--Johanna